Paramount shuts down Friday the 13th, pushes back World War Z sequel

Jay Jacobs
February 9, 2017

In the case of the latter film, the news is not all that surprising. One of the factors why "World War Z 2" is being delayed is because the production has not gotten a new director yet since Juan Antonio (J.A.) Bayona left to focus on other commitments.

"World War Z 2" was slated for a release on June 9 this summer, but it's now looking like it won't be hitting screens until 2018 or even 2019. Let us know your thoughts on the news by leaving a comment below this article.

After several false starts and a period looking like the movie was wandering around a forest, all looked to be getting back on bloody track for the latest reboot of the Friday The 13th concept as director Breck Eisner stepped aboard previous year.

Platinum Dunes, the production company behind the film, and Breck Eisner, who was to have directed the movie, received word earlier in the day, according to multiple sources. Another source, though, said the film was simply "not ready to go at this date".

Willie Nelson Cancels Concerts in Arizona, New Mexico
However, his publicist, Elain Shock, told the Associated Press that he is trying to recover from a bad cold. Nelson recently announced that he will release a new album, God's Problem Child, at the end of April.


According to Variety, sources tell them that Paramount executives quickly made a decision to shut down the production of the Friday the 13th movie after the disappointing box office return for Rings which earned cost $25 million to make and earned only $13 million during its opening weekend. That pic, which like Friday the 13th was to have restarted a horror franchise, cost $25 million and bowed to $13 million over the weekend.

So, what happens now?

The movie about the hordes of undead stalking the land looks like it might be a little dead itself now after the movie became stuck in development limbo.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER