1 girl dies, 2 hurt in fire blamed on hoverboard

Caroline Beck
March 13, 2017

Authorities say a Pennsylvania fire official injured in a crash while responding to a fatal fire has died of his injuries.

DeVoe was on his way to pick up his gear before heading to the scene when his vehicle was hit in an intersection, Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline said.

Fire crews pulled three minors from a burning home in uptown Harrisburg Friday night, and at least one suffered severe burns, police said.

Eighteen-year-old Khanyae Kendall was later arrested and charged with aggravated assault and other offenses. He succumbed injuries he received when his auto was struck by an impaired driver, while he was en route to a fire on Lexington Street in Harrisburg on Friday night.

Two other children injured in the fire remained in critical condition and hospitalized at a local burn center, NBC affiliate WGAL reported.

Enterline, also dealing with the aftermath of the fire, said a rechargeable hoverboard plugged into a first-floor electrical outlet was identified as the cause of the blaze.

Game Of Thrones Season 7 Trailer Best Reactions
The first of Season 7's seven episodes about the struggle between the Seven Kingdoms for the Iron Throne will air July 16 . A brand new teaser trailer accompanied the date reveal, showing images of a spinning dragon's head and lines of dialogue.


Charles Allen said to WHP-TV that he witnessed little girls screaming in the building's second story.

"Everybody was frantic, hollering, screaming and what not, so I was taking her to the ambulance" he said.

Numerous firefighters battling the blaze had just come from the funeral of a retired firefighter who died of cancer, he said.

'What we saw was a horrific scene, ' Harrisburg Police Captain Gabe Olivera said of the crash scene.

DeVoe was remembered on Sunday by his firefighter brethren as "a leader in our department and the fire service as a whole".

Hoverboard accidents are not uncommon and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission has previously issued a warning that certain devices "pose an unreasonable risk of fire to consumers".

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER