Tourists David Taylor and Sara Connor convicted of killing Bali police officer

Trevor Jackson
March 14, 2017

Australian woman Sara Connor has been found guilty of committing fatal assault in company of Bali Police officer Wayan Sudarsa and has been sentenced to four years in jail.

The trio had got into a heated row after the couple reportedly accused Mr Sudarsa of stealing Connor's handbag in the popular tourist region of Kuta.

They also cast doubt on her claims that she was trying to separate her boyfriend and the police officer, Wayan Sudarsa, as they fought on the beach, ruling she was involved in the assault.

The police officer's body was found on the beach outside the Pullman Hotel in Kuta after being beaten with a broken beer bottle and binoculars.

The sentence was shorter than the eight-year term demanded by prosecutors at an earlier hearing.

Taylor, 34, thanked the judges and said he would not appeal.

"We do believe that our son David feared for his own life that night and his actions reflect that", his father, John Taylor, a priest from the United Kingdom, told the press after the ruling.

Sudarsa is said to have pushed Taylor to the ground when the British DJ tried to search him, leading to the pair to begin fighting.

7 seven inches of snow possible over the weekend
Chance of rain and snow, possibly mixed with sleet in the morning, then chance of rain in the afternoon. Breezy, with a west wind 17 to 20 miles per hour , with gusts as high as 30 miles per hour .

The judge told the court Taylor had been "legitimately and convincingly proven guilty" of group assault causing death.

It's been nearly seven months since Mr Sudarsa's bloodied body was found covered in sand on Kuta Beach in the early hours of August 17.

He later claimed he did not realise the police officer would die. They are now being looked after by her ex husband.

They handed themselves into the Australian Consulate in Denpasar on August 19 after Connor received desperate phone calls from friends in Australia, telling her that her face was all over the news and that she was wanted for murder.

The pair were not convicted of the more serious charge of murder after prosecutors recognised they had not meant to kill the officer.

By contrast, Connor always denied guilt, saying she had nothing to do with the fight with the officer.

He wrote a heartfelt letter of apology to the victim's widow, Ketut Arsini, one month after the killing, expressing his deep sorrow for what happened.

Prosecutors were scathing of Connor's failure to admit any role in the incident, particularly as Connor admitted cutting up the officer's ID cards and tossing them in the garbage in the aftermath.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article