United States says chemical weapons attack in Syria was 'war crime'

Trevor Jackson
Апреля 16, 2017

Syria has denied any use of chemical weapons and Moscow said the deaths were the result of a conventional strike hitting a rebel arms depot containing "toxic substances".

In Russia's opinion, the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons needs to be broadened to consist of experts from several different nations. It was Assad's first since the alleged April 4 chemical weapons attack prompted a United States cruise missile strike on a Syrian air base.

While Lavrov, who met with his Iranian and Syrian counterparts Friday, called for an "independent investigation", Russian Federation vetoed a United Nations Security Council resolution on Wednesday that demanded the Syrian government cooperate with an inquiry into the suspected sarin-gas attack that killed dozens of people.

"We consider it absolutely necessary to have thorough, objective and unbiased professional investigation", he said.

"We have reiterated our position and were united in stating that the attack was an act of aggression, which blatantly violated the principles of worldwide law and the UN Charter", he said.

Denouncing a "very barbaric" attack, Trump ordered a strike that saw 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles slam into the airbase in central Syria from where Washington accused Assad's forces of launching the attack. Putin's military backing of Assad has been crucial in keeping the regime in power after six years of civil war.

Читайте также: NCAA Division I council announces early signing day period

Lavrov on Friday accused the US and its allies of what he described as attempts to stymie an worldwide probe into the attack.

"They admitted only to 1,300 tons, but we knew in reality they had almost double that", Sakat told the Telegraph.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov insisted Friday that inspectors from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons should visit both the Syrian air base, which the US said had served as a platform for the attack, and the area of the attack as soon as possible. Russian Federation vetoed a United Nations Security Council resolution on Wednesday that demanded the Syrian government cooperate with an inquiry into the suspected sarin-gas attack that killed dozens of people. The foreign minister of Iran, Mohammad Javad Zarif, warned that further attacks by the USA will be unacceptable. That is because they were all seized in 2014.

After last week's strikes, Ryan said the U.S. military response was "fully within the President's authority".

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson received a frosty reception Wednesday on a visit to Moscow, where he said there was "a low level of trust" between the countries.

Lavrov stated that Moscow question the US regarding the goal behind the buildup in which he was assured intention focused on cutting supply lines among Islamic State parties within Iraq and Syria.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article