How a McDonald's drive-thru employee helped stop Facebook killer

Caroline Beck
April 19, 2017

"We would prefer that it had not ended this way because there are a lot of questions I'm sure that, not only the family, but the city in general would've had for Steve as to why this transpired", said Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams.

On Sunday, Stephens is believed to have shot and killed Robert Godwin, Sr., a 74-year-old Cleveland grandfather, before posting a video of the brutal killing on Facebook.

On Sunday, Stephens uploaded three videos to Facebook.

"One thing I do want to say, is that I forgive (the killer)".

To buy time, DuCharme gave Stephens his nuggets and told him his fries would take an extra minute. "I truly can say I don't even feel any animosity against the guy that killed my father", she said.

The vehicle Stephens was thought to be driving, a white Ford Fusion, did not contain Global Positioning System tracking devices, authorities said.

The order came through the McDonald's drive-thru window in Harborcreek Township, Pennsylvania, around 11 a.m. on Tuesday: Chicken McNuggets and a side of fries.

Police received more than 400 tips in what became a nationwide search, with some tips coming from as far away as Texas.

Hundreds of Palestinians jailed in Israel go on hunger strike
Opinion polls indicate that Barghouti enjoys widespread support in his quest to replace Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas. About 6,500 Palestinians are now detained by Israel on a wide range of offenses and alleged crimes.

FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Cleveland Police shows Steve Stephens.

It was all due to the quick thinking of a McDonald's employee that led police to Steve Stephens. Video of the incident was posted on Facebook.

The company hopes to change the way users report content and how efficiently the company is able to remove and/or block reported posts.

"This is something that should not have been shared around the world". Local media said an employee at the restaurant's drive-through window called police.

The woman, Joy Lane, told WJW-TV in Cleveland that she last talked with Stephens on Saturday night, when he told her he had quit his job and was moving out of state.

In several posts, he claimed to have killed as many as a dozen people, but police have not found evidence to support that claim.

His mobile phone signal was last tracked on Sunday afternoon to Erie, Pennsylvania, 100 miles (160km) from where police say he shot Mr Godwin.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article