Carbon monoxide leak sickens 32 people in New York City

Jay Jacobs
June 14, 2017

The fire was later brought under control and may have been related to a carbon monoxide leak at the building, police officials said.

According to the New York City Fire Department and Police Department, the incident, which happened in the area of West Broadway and Murray Street, was due to a defective boiler that produced high amounts of carbon monoxide.

Emergency personnel work in lower Manhattan after a carbon monoxide leak Tuesday, June 13, 2017, in NY.

Authorities ultimately traced the problem Tuesday to a broken boiler pipe in a grocery store basement.

The department said it initially responded around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a defective oil burner in the basement. The FBI and a bomb squad were on the scene and eventually determined that the reported suspicious package was not hazardous.

Aberdeen braced for official Sunderland approach for manager Derek McInnes
Moyes resigned in May in the wake of relegation to the Championship, ending Sunderland's decade long tenure in the Premier League. The 45-year-old is now in charge of Aberdeen , who are seeking £1million of compensation from the Black Cats.


According to witnesses, people in the Amish Market on the ground floor were most affected by the leak.

A preliminary investigation revealed the box contained salad bowls, which had been delivered to the location the day before from Brooklyn. The meters measure up to 1,000 parts per million, enough to "render you unconscious very, very quickly", Leonard said.

"The carbon monoxide was very high".

Stay on topic - This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand.

Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER