Witnesses describe scene of military plane crash

Trevor Jackson
July 14, 2017

There were no survivors of the crash, and this is the deadliest USA military air crash in a dozen years.

Among the dead were six Marines and one Navy sailor from the Marines' special operations command, who were heading for pre-deployment training.

The KC-130 Hercules aircraft disappeared from air traffic control radar after taking off from Cherry Point, North Carolina, on Monday.

The plane was a KC-130T, a tanker from Marine Aerial Refueling and Transport Squadron 452, a Marine Forces Reserve unit based in Fort Stewart, New York.

James said all the families had been notified but the names of the victims would not be released for a few days.

Aranda says numerous Marines were from a unit based in NY with active duty and reserve members. "Melania and I send our deepest condolences to all!"

The crash happened in Leflore County, Mississippi, just off Highway 82.

Penn Station repairs begin amid NYC rush hour
CBS2's Ali Bauman boarded a train in Summit at 7:26 a.m. and arrived in Hoboken about an hour later without any major problems. Around the same time, he wrote a letter to President Donald Trump asking for federal help and appealing to Trump's NY roots.

Joseph Murray was one of the 16 service members killed in Monday's crash of a KC-130 in Mississippi. A witness said some bodies were found more than a mile from the crash site.

Residents on the ground told local news stations and the Associated Press that they heard a boom and looked up to see the aircraft tumbling out of the sky with one of its engine's aflame.

Greenwood Fire Chief Marcus Banks told the Greenwood Commonwealth that debris was scattered in a radius of about five miles. It can be configured to refuel aircraft in midair in addition to being a general objective cargo and personnel transport.

The force of the crash almost flattened the plane, he said.

US President Donald Trump, in a tweet, said the news was "heartbreaking".

After calling authorities, Jones and firefighters, tried to fight the fire until another explosion forced them to stay back.

Authorities said law enforcement officers are securing the crash area.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article