Doklam standoff: India silent on China claims

Trevor Jackson
Августа 7, 2017

Maintaining its silence on claims by the Chinese government that India has reduced troop levels on the Doklam plateau where they have been in a standoff with the PLA, the government on Friday said it would not comment on "operational details", but continued to affirm that "war is not an option" despite rising tensions. China claims the region as its own, even as it belongs to Bhutan and there was a 2012 agreement between the countries that any change in the status quo would be done in consultation with the three parties - India, China and Bhutan.

Lashing out a strong warning at the Modi government, China on Saturday asked India to be aware of its army's overwhelming firepower and logistics.

India has previously warned China that construction of the road near their common border would have serious security implications.

This means discussions on this segment of the boundary falls within the remit of talks on all the disputed parts of the India-China frontier between the special representatives, the second person said, also asking not to be named.

According to Srikanth Kondapalli, a professor of Chinese Studies at the Delhi-based Jawaharlal Nehru University, China's move to convey to New Delhi that the special representatives have no role to discuss the Doklam standoff is aimed at buttressing its demand that India move back its troops from the plateau before Beijing agrees to any talks with India on the subject.

Desai also suggested that India should not make the mistake of equating the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) with the Pakistani Army. As far as economic strength is concerned, China is one of the leading countries among major contributors and economic partners. "We need to give a befitting reply to Pakistan and for this firstly we have to merge Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) with India and secondly every Indian should boycott China made products whether it be mobile, watches, cars, or toys", Ramdev told ANI.

Читайте также: NOTA To Be Part Of Rajya Sabha Polls, Rules Supreme Court

With India, the United States and China forming a "very combustible mixture right now", the fate of the ongoing Doklam standoff would largely depend upon events in the South China Sea, noted commentator on global affairs, Meghnad Desai has said.

"The Modi government should stop lying to its people that 'India in 2017 is different from India in 1962.' The gap in national strength between the two countries is the largest in the past 50 years". "China will take all necessary measures to safeguard its legitimate and lawful rights and interests", the Foreign Ministry said. But Bhutan's official statement isn't to say that it does not wish to resolve border disputes with China.

The editorial also claimed that "PLA has made sufficient preparation for military confrontation".

While the atmosphere in the region remains peaceful though tense, Indian troops are not favour of military action, The Hindu reported.

The document says that as of the end of July, more than 40 Indian border troops remained, down from more than 270 with weapons and two bulldozers who advanced more than 100 meters (yards) into Chinese territory on June 16.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article