'Terrorist Attack' on Venezuelan Military Base Under Control

Trevor Jackson
Августа 7, 2017

The sanctions come ahead of the planned July 30, 2017, election orchestrated by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro of a National Constituent Assembly that will have the power to rewrite the Venezuelan constitution and dissolve all government institutions.

Cries of "traitor" and "justice" erupted from the stately, neo-classical salon where 545 pro-government delegates voted unanimously to remove Luisa Ortega from her post as the nation's top law enforcement official and replace her with a staunch government supporter.

One witness in the area of the military base in the town of Naguanagua reported hearing gunshots before dawn, but Mr Cabello said the situation had been brought under control.

Venezuela's armed forces issued a statement calling the rebellion an ill-fated "propaganda show" aimed at destabilizing the country and reaffirmed their allegiance to Maduro.

The beginning of the Assembly's works, which was originally scheduled for Thursday, was postponed by Maduro's decision after a controversy over an alleged electoral "fraud" identified by the Prosecutor's Office and by the company responsible for counting Sunday's votes.

Officials said several of the "terrorists" had been arrested and insisted all was normal across the country.

Even as the all-powerful constitutional assembly moved quickly against Ortega, there were signs it may be rethinking about extending its crackdown.

An eyewitness who lives near the Venezuelan military base where troops suppressed an apparent uprising says residents gathered nearby and shouted "freedom!" as the attack was underway.

Читайте также: Tillerson assures North Korea 'We are not your enemy'

Global pressure against Venezuela's election has been increasing as the United States, Mexico and Colombia said they're freezing assets and imposing other restrictions on certain current and former Venezuelan government officials.

Since April more than 120 people have been killed in unrest as rock-throwing protesters were met by state security forces firing rubber bullets and water cannon.

They also fear persecution should the opposition take over.

Authorities said the men were mercenaries working for a US -backed opposition to bring down almost two decades of Socialism in oil-rich Venezuela, raising the specter of a further government crackdown on dissent in coming days. Numerous demonstrators say they support the men who launched the attack.

"The Constituent is getting prepared for its installation [on Friday]".

Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez was returned to house arrest after being detained in military prison for four days, his wife Lilian Tintori said.

"We shouldn't think the government is winning", said Julio Borges, president of the opposition-controlled congress, making an emotional plea for Maduro's opponents to remain on the streets and capitalize on the government's increasing worldwide isolation.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article