9/11 victim's remains identified 16 years after attack

Francis Osborne
August 9, 2017

It is the first new identification of a World Trade Center victim since 2015, when Matthew David Yarnell, 26, was identified using DNA.

The remains of a man killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centre have been identified almost 16 years on, according to the city medical examiner.

The man's name is being withheld at the request of his family, the medical examiner's office said.

More than 1,100 of them have either not been identified, or were never found. The city's medical examiner has been retesting remains that were recovered before May 2002 from ground zero.

A total of 2,996 people died on the day of the attack, when planes hijacked by Al-Qaeda operatives crashed into the World Trade Center in NY, a wing of the Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania.

In 2013, authorities sifted through truckloads of debris unearthed by construction crews working on the rebuilding.

'Terrorist Attack' on Venezuelan Military Base Under Control
Officials said several of the "terrorists" had been arrested and insisted all was normal across the country. They also fear persecution should the opposition take over.


Over time, the medical examiner's office came to use a process that involves pulverising the fragments to extract DNA, then comparing them to the office's collection of genetic material from victims or their relatives.

As DNA testing advanced, so has the multimillion-dollar effort to connect more than 21,900 bits of remains to individual victims.

No full bodies were discovered after the attack, according to The Journal.

In some cases, scientists have re-examined the same bone fragment 10 or more times - hopeful that advancements in technology will provide answers.

In New York City, the Twin Towers were hit, the structures engulfed in flames before eventually collapsing, killing more than 2,600 people.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER