Russia Tried to Pass off a Video Game as Combat Footage

Trevor Jackson
November 15, 2017

The ministry posted a number of aerial images that it claimed were of ISIS convoys, It said the U.S. intervened to "use (ISIS) to promote American interests in Middle East".

Early on November 14th, the Russian Ministry of Defense posted messages on social media in Russian, Arabic, and English describing "irrefutable evidence" that us forces were saving, not attacking ISIS forces.

After military research site Conflict Intelligence Team and investigative website Bellingcat showed the images actually came from a 2015 computer game titled AC-130 Gunship Simulator: Special Ops Squadron and 2016 US war footage from Iraq, the ministry removed the post and explained its gaffe.

At least one of the photographs exactly matched a frame from a promotional video for a "AC-130 Gunship Simulator" computer game posted online in March 2015.

"This is the irrefutable evidence that there is no struggle against terrorism as the whole global community believes", the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement posted on Facebook along with photos. Russia said the Americans actively interfered with Russian airstrikes, to provide cover for the Isis fighters.

It said the US-led coalition refused requests to cooperate and "eliminate fleeing Isis convoys".

Denton apartment floor collapses, 50 residents displaced
If we were in our living room, we wouldn't have made it out because by what we've seen, it's just completely gone". Officials told NBC 5 that pipes were broken and leaked into the second floor. "That's life threatening.


But none of the images are from Abu Kamal, and none are from Nov 9. The Twitter post has since been deleted.

Moscow has previously accused Washington of "pretending" to fight IS in Iraq, allowing jihadists into neighboring Syria where Russian Federation and the United States have backed opposing sides in the bloody conflict.

"I certainly can't verify but I have seen a report that one of the pictures came from a video game".

It is not the first time that the Russian defence ministry has tried to pass off footage of other events as its own.

A US Department of Defense spokesman said this incident was just the latest "episode" by the Russians.

The defence ministry told Russian news agencies on Tuesday evening it was "carrying out checks on a civilian employee who mistakenly added photographs to the ministry's statement".

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER