Super Mario Bros movie coming from Minion studio, report says

Janie Parker
November 15, 2017

Nintendo is in talks to bring Mario back to Hollywood, according to a report today by The Wall Street Journal. Much like how Tomb Raider is getting a reboot, though, Hollywood is going to give Mario Mario and Luigi Mario another shot.

The deal comes after years of Nintendo being unwilling to pull the trigger on licensing their sacred property for the use of a major motion picture. The animation studio is responsible for the likes of Despicable Me and the Minions. Here's hoping that Nintendo and Universal are able to reach a deal concerning a Mario movie and that the film is at least better than the aforementioned Super Mario Brothers. The studio boasts a long streak of blockbuster hits such as "Despicable Me", "Minions", "The Secret Life of Pets" and "Sing". In 1993, their live action Super Mario Brothers movie flopped and, since then, the company has been anxious to put their beloved characters to the movies. The series isn't exactly known for being revolutionary from a storytelling standpoint, even if Mario is possibly the most recognizable fictional character for many children (and adults).

Iran quake toll reaches 540, survivors plead for help
Rescue operations have ended in Iran after a powerful natural disaster killed more than 500 people and injured 8,000 others. The head of the elite Revolutionary Guards, Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, said many older buildings collapsed.


Let's all hope (and pray) that Nintendo, together with Illumination Entertainment, can pull this off.

Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of "Mario Bros.", is reportedly part of the film talks, and the Wall Street Journal reports he'll likely be a producer. Nintendo is said to have pushed for its considerable involvement in the creative process.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER