Saeed's release: Pak 'hoodwinking' global community

Trevor Jackson
November 23, 2017

A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered an end to the house arrest of Hafiz Saeed, media reports said.

A Judicial Review Board consisting of judges from the Lahore High Court rejected a plea from the government of Pakistan's Punjab province to extend his detention by three months, Dunya News reported.

Saeed has been under house arrest since January.

Hafiz Saeed is scheduled to be released on Thursday.

During a hearing by the review board on Tuesday, the Punjab government said Pakistan might face sanctions from the world community if Saeed is released.

In October, while the review board extended Saeed's detention, it set his four aides free.

Saeed had been under house arrest largely because of pressure from the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force that tracks terror financing.

FCC chairman reveals plan to kill net neutrality
His proposal will be released on November 22, and the FCC commissioners will vote on the order in December. Netflix, Google , Facebook and Twitter, all based in Silicon Valley or San Francisco, are against repeal.


A Punjab Home Department official said it is feared the release could invite worldwide sanctions on the country.

The religious leader is likely to be released later this week, said his counsel.

On January 31, Saeed and his four aides - Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain - were detained by the Punjab government for 90 days under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 and the Fourth Schedule of Anti- Terrorism Act 1997. "And in case of Saeed, a designated terrorist, it also shows how Pakistan is hoodwinking the worldwide community on the issue of terrorism", a source said.

The JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) which is responsible for carrying out the 2008 Mumbai attack.

"In May 2008, the United States department of the treasury designated Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist under Executive Order 13224".

In the Mumbai terror attack 9 years ago, 166 innocent people had lost their lives.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER