White House is said to weigh personal mobile phone ban for staff

Trevor Jackson
November 29, 2017

The Trump Administration is considering banning White House staffers from using their personal cell phones at work, media reported.

The report said the policy under consideration is not because of President Donald Trump's concerns of administration officials leaking sensitive information to the press.

The White House already has some protections in place with regards to personal devices. One anonymous official said that there are too many personal devices connected to the White House's wireless network; unlike the phones that are given out by the White House for job related calls, these personal handsets are not secure.

Top officials have not yet decided whether or when to impose the ban, and if it would apply to all staff in the executive office.

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly is said to be leading the push for the ban.

Roy Moore for Alabama governor? (Maybe)
The Republican, who has been accused of child sex abuse, is running against Democrat Doug Jones to fill Alabama's Senate seat. Multiple high-level Republicans have called on Moore to drop out of the race but he, so far, hasn't heeded their advice.


The White House took precautionary measures, and employees are now required to leave their phones in cubbies when attending meetings that involve sensitive matters. White House issued phones cannot send texts, which are usually the fastest way that a staff member can communicate with his family at home.

Cell phones issued by the White House can not send text messages, and the computer network denies access to Gmail, Google Hangouts and other websites. In addition, government record keeping rules require that records of personal calls received and made over a government issued phone be filed away and kept available for eventual release.

Security priorities may override those concerns. The administration is reportedly mulling this step due to other reasons and not necessarily due to leaks to the press.

Staffers were also instructed not to use their personal or regular work mobile phones during President Donald Trump's trip to China earlier this month.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER