Family identifies Wichita man killed by police in possible 'swatting' prank

Trevor Jackson
December 31, 2017

Tyler Barriss, 25, was arrested early Saturday morning, according to KWCH Eyewitness News. However, he said that the investigators were making good progress tracking online leads. 28-year-old Andrew Thomas Finch was shot by an officer during a standoff, and he died later at a hospital.

"Swatting" stems from someone making up a false report to get a SWAT team to descend upon an address. Livingstone added, "This call was little peculiar for us". We learned through that call that a father was deceased, and had been shot in the head. And now that person was holding mother, brother and sister hostage. The caller, speaking with relative calm, said he poured gasoline inside the home "and I might just set it on fire".

Officers subsequently surrounded the home at the address the caller provided and prepared for a hostage situation.

Why did the police shoot Finch?

But Chief Livingston said the man moved a hand toward his waistband - a common place where guns are concealed.

Livingston defended the officer, saying the cop genuinely feared the victim was reaching for a gun.

The Associated Press reports that the FBI office in the Kansas City, Missouri, is involved in the investigation into Finch's shooting. Finch was not armed. The officer that killed Finch is on paid leave as the department investigates further.

After St. Petersburg Explosion, Putin Orders Police to 'Liquidate' Terrorists
Russian authorities consider the bombing an act of attempted murder but have not yet classified it as terrorism. Storage boxes at all Perekrestok supermarkets in St.

Andrew Finch's aunt Lorrie Hernandez-Caballero told the Eagle she was shocked that a person would make such a prank call.

Finch was not involved in the game. Addressing reporters in her home, she said her family was forced outside barefoot and handcuffed in the freezing cold. "[The officer] took me, my roommate and my granddaughter, who witnessed the shooting and had to step over her dying uncle's body".

It appears that those responsible might have been two Call of Duty players who were competing in a $1.50 money match last night, based on Twitter screencaps shared among the Call of Duty community. Due to the actions of a prankster, we have an innocent victim. "Our hearts go out to his loved ones". Police plan to release more information later today. It was hard to see clearly what happened.

The FBI estimates that roughly 400 cases of swatting occur annually, with some using caller ID spoofing to disguise their number. The police and FBI were investigating whether the hoax call stemmed from an argument over an online game.

In other cases of apparent swatting, three families in Florida in January had to evacuate their homes after a detective received an anonymous email claiming bombs had been placed at the address.

The incident unfolded when a "Call of Duty" player made a phony 911 call to Wichita police at about 6pm on Thursday, reports the New York Post. The intended victim, who was not swatted, said this.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article