Novak Djokovic explains his plans ahead of Australian Open

Rachel Hardy
January 5, 2018

Serena Williams will not be defending her Australian Open title at this year's tournament.

"I can compete - but I don't want to just compete".

The seven-time Australian Open champion hasn't played in a WTA level tournament for 12-months after having her first child in September.

"After competing in Abu Dhabi I realized that although I am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be", Williams said in a statement Friday.

The 36-year-old was eight weeks pregnant last year when the American triumphed for the seventh time at Melbourne Park to claim an Open-era record 23rd grand slam title and then took the rest of the year off before giving birth to a daughter.

He pulled out of the Abu Dhabi event last week only hours before his match with Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut after the pain in his right elbow flared up. She won in 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015 and 2017.

Pep provides worrying Man City injury update after Palace draw
The subsequent reshuffle appeared to affect the visitors more, with Palace growing more into the game the longer the half went on. There is one line but where you go beyond it, that is risky . "But my feeling now is that he's an Arsenal player and he will be".


Other star players, including top-ranked Rafael Nadal, six-time champion Novak Djokovic and 2014 victor Stan Wawrinka, also are dealing with injuries.

Williams is the latest big name to withdraw from the year's opening Grand Slam, which will be played from January 15 to January 28.

Serena also said that she was disappointed to withdraw but looked forward to returning in the future.

Six-time Australian Open victor Djokovic still remains highly doubtful for the Australian Open but will be travelling to Australia to compete in the Tie Break Tens at the Margaret Court Arena at Melbourne Park on January 10.

"We are fully aware that some players are going through a hard period with injuries and that they have done everything possible to prepare for the Australian summer", Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said while talking to The Dependent.

Other reports by TheDailyFarc

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER